Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Preparing For New Year - Make-Up

If your anything like me your going to already be thinking about the next big date in the calendar and for us I believe its New Years Eve! I'm really not a fan of it but this doesn't mean I'm going to forget completely about it, and if I do have to celebrate it im going to do so as well as I can....
I will probably use it as an excuse to buy a cute new dress and then ruin it by eating too much and spilling champagne all over it! But at the start of the night I will be trying to look like one should at a New Years Eve party, so I thought I would share with you some of my favourite key trends for this winter and New Year.
 I've always followed the rule that you only accentuate one part of your face.....so if you do eyes leave your lips and skin alone, if you do lips leave your eyes alone! So here we go...


Red Lips. These are a personal favourite of mine, I can leave the rest of my make-up and outfit unplanned and relatively plain, you just add red lipstick and you're ready to go! Red lips were pretty popular across the board at the New York and London shows showing up at Rick Owens to Jonathon Saunders. Chanel Rouge Allure in Passion is the lipstick that is never far away from my bag, but also the MAC russian red is also amazing! 



Vermilion Lips. The deepest and most delicious scarlet lips were seen at Gucci, Badgley Mischka and Jenny Packham, basically all my favourite shows so this has become a key look of my winter make-up. You need to be confident to wear such a dark colour on your lips, but if you do it will give you the most amazing winter look. My favourite lipstick to get this look perfect is the YSL Rouge Per Couture in 8 Belle de Rose.



Large heavy thick black liquid eye liner flicks are another amazing look this winter, this was made popular by Zac Posen and Erdam. But Step away from the standard small flick that just frames your eyes, think Bridget Bardo meets modern geisha!



The alternative smoky eye! Smoky eyes are a standard for every girl I know, but this winter experiment was all the range at the big shows this season, Burberry, Jason Wu and Roberto Cavalii. Golden brown and emerald work beautifully together, but if you have the confidence experiment more and use stronger colours.


























As you can see I am working a pair of very heavy duty eyebrows which I have learnt to love over the years, and luckily for me big eyebrows seem to be an on going trend every season! Accentuating your eyebrows is a great way to shape your face and draw attention to your eyes. Chanel this season went all out and added gems to eyebrows, however I dont think this would go down too well off the runway. Mac have the greatest all round products for eyebrows, I strongly recommend you take a look here. The Brow Set in clear is my favourite product, I tend to use the pencil to fill in my eyebrows then the clear Brow Set to finish them off.




























I'm not a great lover of foundation so I normally try to use a BB cream or tinted moisturiser, but if I feel the need for foundation I will always use MAC studio finish or Dior Flawless Perfection Fusion Wear foundation. These are both great foundations and will last all night long. In different seasons our complexions are always going to change, make sure your winter foundation matches you skin tone and is not still matched to your summer tan.


We are all going to suffer from rosey cheeks this winter, so I say just go with it. Put the bronzer away and bring out the cute pink blush that has been hiding. Pink cheeks were seen at Mulberry and at Dolce and Gabbana, lets follow their lead and wait until at least March to pretend we are tanned again. I use the Dolce and Gabbana Luminous Cheek Colour in Provocative to get this look. Use a soft large brush on the top of the cheekbones.



My advice now is to go and face those terrifying post Christmas sales, find the best dress, choose an amazing make-up look and bring in the new year as best and as beautifully as you can!!
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! XXX



Popular Posts